Your browser does not support JavaScript, You should enable JavaScript to use this website.

Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden

9 Main Street North,  Bethlehem, CT 06751
203.266.7596
https://ctlandmarks.org/properties/bellamy-ferriday-house-garden/


Open for tours: May through Oct.
May & June: Wed. – Sun., 12 – 4 pm
July – Sept.: Thur. – Sun., 12 – 4 pm
Oct.: Sat. & Sun., 12 – 4 pm
Open on Memorial Day
See below for a brief description.


< Back to GARDENS

about bellamy-ferriday house & garden

Visitors to The Bellamy-Ferriday House & Garden will experience how 18th-century evangelical pastor Joseph Bellamy influenced everyday colonial life and preached with religious fervor throughout New England as well as how Miss Caroline Ferriday, a 20th-century philanthropist, championed human rights and social justice causes around the globe. A visit to the five-acre site includes the 18th-century residence, barns, and formal parterre garden and will engage the public in understanding how beliefs and values can guide one’s actions by interpreting the lives, actions, and commitments of the Reverend Bellamy and Miss Caroline Ferriday.

Moving to Bethlehem from New York City when she was 9 years old, Miss Ferriday spent 78 summers on her property. Interested in the original owner of the house, Caroline Ferriday researched him and collected antiques related to Reverend Bellamy’s life, many of them are preserved throughout the house. Bellamy built the house in two stages, beginning in 1754 and finishing in 1767, as his family, theological seminary, and stature grew. Architectural embellishments were added by Rev. Bellamy’s eldest son in the 1790s. The 100-acre property with numerous outbuildings remained in the Bellamy family until 1868. A preacher of great renown, Bellamy traveled throughout New England preaching the message of the Great Awakening. An accomplished writer, his works were published in New York, Boston, and Scotland—while he lived in Bethlehem in the 18th century.

In 1912, New Yorkers Henry and Eliza Ferriday purchased the property as a summer residence for themselves and their only child Caroline Ferriday. The Ferridays updated the house with modern amenities such as heat, electricity, and plumbing. Mrs. Ferriday and daughter Caroline designed a formal parterre garden which features historic roses, peonies, lilacs, and numerous fragrant trees and shrubs, making the site a destination for gardeners. In addition to gardening, Miss Ferriday supported many social justice and human rights causes. Miss Ferriday supported the Free France Movement during World War II and secured medical assistance for Ravensbruck Concentration Camp survivors, receiving the Cross of Lorraine and the French Legion of Honor medal for her efforts.

For admission information and directions, visit https://ctlandmarks.org/properties/bellamy-ferriday-house-garden/.